Taishi Nakagawa is soon emerging as Japan’s shoujo prince with the main lead in Today’s Kira-kun (きょうのキラ君) after playing second fiddle to Kento Yamazaki in Your Lie in April. A lot can happen in a day, and in the case of Japanese movie casting news, there’s plenty to talk about right this minute! I just posted casting news previously!
A teaser trailer showing students reacting to Taishi and co-star Marie Iitoyo romantic overtures in the movie says it all.
Of course, the basic formula follows a shy young girl (Iitoyo) falling for a brash (yet sick) boy (Nakagawa):
Ninon Okamura (Mari Iitoyo) is an introverted high school girl who cannot talk with anyone other than her parents and Kansai dialect-speaking pet parrot, Sensei, due to the trauma of being bullied when she was in elementary school. Her life changes when she’s befriended by a classmate, Yuiji Kira (Taishi Nakagawa), who suffers from a heart disease and likely only has one year left to live. Ninon encourages Kira to abandon his lewd lifestyle and instead fill his life with happiness, vowing to always remain on his side. The two become fast friends and ultimately fall for each other, though both are aware that their relationship likely has no future.
Previous collaborators Masaki Suda and Ryosuke Yamada take on different genres – Suda dives into Usamaru Furuya’s Teiichi’s Country, whose earlier work – Litchi Hikari Club – cast Yuki Furukawa in a career-defining role. Yamada, who never gave us enough to celebrate the action-thriller Grasshopper, hopes to reignite the fire via Fullmetal Alchemist.
Primary role and supporting cast for Teiichi’s Country (帝一の國) are:
- Masaki Suda as Teiichi Akaba
- Shuhei Nomura as Kikuma Todo, Teiichi’s underhanded classmate, and childhood friend. Nomura was also part of the cast of Litchi Hikari Club;
- Ryoma Takeuchi as Dan Otaka, Teiichi’s naturally charismatic classmate;
- Shotaro Mamiya as Roland Himuro, the student, favored being the next student council president. Mamiya is, apparently, being groomed to play charismatic villains (or at least to play anti-hero type of roles).
- Kotaro Yoshida as Josuke Akaba, Teiichi’s father, and an alumnus of Teiichi’s Kaitei High School
- Mei Nagano as Mimiko Shiratori, Teiichi’s secret friend. We need to watch out for Nagano; she’s displaying her acting flair as lead and supporting characters;
- Jun Shison as Teiichi’s right-hand man, the uncommonly handsome Komei Sakakibara;
- Yudai Chiba as Okuto Morizono, a member of the shogi club.
So what sort of storyline we have?
Akaba Teiichi (Masaki Suda) is beginning his student career at an elite private boy’s high school, which was formerly renowned for producing many excellent naval officers. In its current incarnation, his school regularly turns out many famous politicians and bureaucrats, and networking starts from day one. Teiichi is determined to become the school’s student council president, a position which will help launch him into the political sphere after graduation. He has run his life so far by maintaining a perfect image, while never neglecting the darker side of politics. [ Source: Manga Updates ]
Among the supporting cast, Ryoma Takeuchi is fast becoming a personal bias of mine. His acting resume speaks for itself: from playing Kamen Rider heroes, he expanded into diverse acting opportunities via NTV’s The Girl Who Leapt Through Time, Toho’s Aozora Yell (with Tao Tsuchiya no less!) and a supporting, but a high-profile role in another NTV series, The Last Cop.
Masataka Kubota, on the other hand, remains one of the few Japanese actors who never shy away from playing any roles – including gender-bender ones. He already did the Makio Kirishima character in MARS (as an effeminate sociopath) and teamed up with Masato Yano (as lovers) in last year’s April’s Fools.
[ More screenshots of Kubota and Yano here ]
Fullmetal Alchemist live action trailer is up! It looks good so far. Let’s see how Yamada will play Edward Elric.
The teaser looks awesome to me, I hope the whole movie is too!